Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Google game

All these days I've been installing and un-installing operating systems. One of the most interesting operating systems I came across was gOS, the common belief is that this is the google operating system, but let me tell you its not. gOS is an independent linux distro which provides a lots of google applications and comes with a lots of pre-installed widgets. The operating system has a very nice and neat look.

After checking this out, I wanted to do something similar with my ubuntu installation. But, when I started looking for Google chrome(don't mistake me I still hate the browser, it was just for the sake of testing that i wanted it) to my surprise there is no linux version available. Then I tried doing the same for google talk, here also there is no linux version available.

Now the question is why the company which says that it is promoting open source and freeware not providing softwares for opensource?
The answer was very easy to find, as soon as I surfed to the page of Google Chrome I could figure out what was going on. There is a great game behind all this. Specially the OS and browser war going on, along with the well know Microsoft & Google fights makes it even more interesting. Just to start with let me tell you that google OS is a browser which is going to be launched in October(tentatively). And the base of this browser/OS is linux. So, it becomes very shocking for me if google chrome or google talk can not be installed linux distros. How a software which is entirely developed on linux and which is going to be a linux OS not support other linux distros? The answer to this is even more simpler - Google wants to govern the opensource market and that's why it has been wasting money on these stupid wars with Microsoft. The revenue generated by google is more than any other freeware/shareware. Google is playing the same old game like Microsoft.(hope you guys remember netscape vs internet explorer). The moment google OS is launched it will rule out Windows and even if the pace is slow in the beginning Google can always put in money for it.(we all firefox lovers hate the ads of google chrome on orkut/facebook or other popular sites).

This fight is good only for pockets of the users. But, what about the other linux developers...Is everyone going to end up making widgets for google??

No comments:

Post a Comment